Food Bill News
From December 2008 until February 2009 we've spent close to $7,000 on food! Are we eating fillet mignon and lobster every night? Not! Did we buy $200 bottles of champagne or wine so old it predates the bible? Nooooo. We buy regular sh*t, like potatoes, carrots, chicken, flour, honey, cereal, milk, etc. And I cook everyday so it's not like we're paying for packaging. Sh*t we even buy most of the dry goods in the bulk section. You know, where everything comes in those huge azz bins and you just scoop out the amount you need, weight it and your done. Our milk comes from a farm as well as our eggs and butter. So we save a ton from buying farm fresh without the store over head cost.
So WHY is our food bill so dayum high? I don't take in boarders, no foster kids, no pets, etc. This is insane. Are natural grocers and other stores that sell "chemical" free foods really that much more expensive? Or is somebody playing?
Okay, that was my vent for the day. *breathing deep*
6 Comments:
At 3:08 PM, March 03, 2009,
Carmell said…
hell yeah its that more expensive! i thought you knew this back in Cali!?!? that shit don't change just because you in the midwest now! thats why i don't buy organic. it cost to much to live/eat green. them fools got me messed up if they think that just because its better for me that i'm gon go broke doing it. it crazy! i'd rather die in a couple of years than live forever broke. and i will be planting a vegetable garden this year... i suggest you do the same!
At 7:40 PM, March 03, 2009,
Anonymous said…
If anything I think produce is probably cheaper in Cali- so you are not only paying for higher costs in general, even the staples get ridiculous. I've relaxed a lot of my organic policy as my kids have grown into heartier eaters(I refuse to make exceptions on meat and milk though). Have you searched out to see if there are any organic coops in your area? That's an option to let you bulk purchase with other organic minded folx.
I've been learning how to use coupons if for nothing else toiletries (free toilet paper makes it all worth it). These are some more organic minded coupon sites:
http://affluentpauper.blogspot.com/2009/01/organic-coupons-where-to-find-them.html
www.organicgrocerydeals.com
Oooh this is a co-op in your area (maybe?) that looks interesting: cityfoodcoop.com
Good luck let us know if you do figure out any ways to bring down that bill!
At 7:11 AM, March 04, 2009,
Anonymous said…
Girl isn't that crazy? You would think that since there are less chemicals and additives that the food would be cheaper. That crap is frustrating.
At 7:05 PM, March 04, 2009,
*Tanyetta* said…
Quality costs!
But, DANG! I hear you. WTHECK!! ::)
At 6:49 PM, March 08, 2009,
Aziza said…
Wow... Shazam... Just this year I was thinking about shopping at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods more rather than at the "traditional grocery" stores. I guess I'll have to be prepared for those prices or stay shopping at the other stores...
At 8:59 PM, March 30, 2009,
Bliss said…
yeah the prices are sometimes off the chain.
we're now getting organic produce delivered. the price isn't bad.
sometimes i get non-organic from the store but honestly, i sometimes cringe when i think about what might have been sprayed on my food...
so i try to stick with stuff that has rinds for non-organic produce.
Post a Comment
<< Home